Skip to main content

My Experience of having a Hair Fall // What is the Cause

They said " Your hair is your crowning glory". I do really believe on this saying. Your hair really change the way you look. It made you beautiful and sexy. But what does it looks like if your hair falls off? Do you what to know my  experienced way back 9 years ago? So here it is...

I discovered a small patch of my hairline last 2011 of December. Since then, everyday my hair kept falling especially when I took a bath and combed my hair. I went to the salon to cut my tangled hair. The hair dresser said that it was an "alopecia". I was just confident that it was not a serious problem. He said to stop using hair shine products and avoid using conditioner. I followed what he said. I even bought "LUAT" herbal shampoo and I didn't use any conditioner since that day. However, my hair sheds drastically. When it entangled, it was difficult to combed at all. As I brushed it, that portion of the hair which were entangled eventually sheds off. 

To hide the hair which was falling and eventually receding, I bought a synthetic long hair wig. It do gives a glam in my face. I bought another sathura synthetic mid length wavy wig . That time, I am confident how I looked for I suits to my complexion and I knew already how I carry that wig. Unlike the first time I had it,  I am uncomfortable of wearing it. Wearing a wig was not my dream for I have my healthy and wavy hair back then. However, it opens my perspective to appreciate how I look if I have different hair style and color. But wearing it was not easy. I experienced itching in my head and humidity increases especially in absence of hair conditioner.

The worst falling of hair that I experienced was last January 4, 2012. I even shouted and cried of what I had seen those clump of hair. That's the time that I felt scared. Scared of what might happened to me. I'm I dying? or do I have a serious disease? Some other people even thought that I have a cancer. I am really upset of my situation. Only God and my family were my sole of strength that I have at that very moment.


To stop those speculations, I went to a dermatologist named Dr. Vicente Verallo. Upon checking my hair, he said. He found two possible type of diseases. One is the telogen effluvium and the other one is alopecia aorta. In order to diagnose my case. He suggested to have biospy test.  He took a small part on my scalp, and it was sent to the laboratory for testing. The test was taken last January 7, 2012. 

The result was supposedly released on January 12, 2012 but after 5 days of being upset of what would be the result, it was delayed. Consequently, I was so scared to death. It prolonged my agony. According to Verallo's secretary, it was transferred to another laboratory to rechecked its result's validity. Checking its result validity? It doubled my anxiety. What is it? Do I have a cancer or something. It took another 5 days of waiting.

                                            During that time of test, this is how typically looks like. 

The agony prolonged until Sinulog Festival of January 15, 2012. I was the Lead dancer of Lumad Basakanon. Thanks God nobody noticed my hair since I had a head cover and headdress. That time group was declared as 4th place winner, for the free interpretation category. 

After the awarding ceremony of January 16, 2012, the group headed to Basilica del Santo Nino to offer a thanksgiving mass. After the mass, there was healing of the sick. I fervently prayed for my condition. That I will be okay. That this drastic change of my hair will not contribute too much to my health. 


January 17, 2012. I went back to the clinic. That time I am very nervous. The secretary handed me with the result. The result stated that I suffered a " Telogen Effluvium". I immediately sent message to my husband Ryan to search that word. He replied immediately;

" Telogen Effluvium" is a scalp disorder characterized by the thinning or shedding of hair resulting from the early entry of hair in the telogen phase (the resting phase of the hair follicle).Emotional or physiological stress may result in an alteration of the normal hair cycle and cause the disorder, with potential etiologies including eating disorders, fever, childbirth, chronic illness, major surgery, anemia, severe emotional disorders, crash diets, hypothyroid and drugs.

As the doctor gave me an advice, that the hair will eventually will grow every 3 months. Upon, hearing it, I felt relieved knowing that that condition is not a cancer nor any another else. It is just a hair condition which can be treated. He then told me to avoid using hair conditioners. Moreover,  took some off and keep away from stressors and lastly, that I should eat at the right time. 

Stress is one of the factors that contributes to my hair fall. So to those moms like me, you should free yourself from stress. If you don't like to experience what I've been through. 

February 24, 2012

Prior to this hair falling incident, I remembered that I almost forgot to eat for I was too much engrossed with the work that I didn't mind the time for eating. As a result, I suffered severed headache that when I touched my head or even a strand of my hair. It was really painful that I always pulled my hair up. 

To hid this situation to other people especially with my students and colleagues, I wore cap, bonnet, scarf and even wigs. I took me about 3 months of hiding. 



For I am ashamed with my condition. When the school year 2011 -2012 ends, I had the courage to go to the parlor. It was March 25, 2012 when I decided to shaved my hair. So eventually my husband and I went to the barber shop did my hair done. 

March 26, 2012
              That was me a day after my hair was shaved. Confidently beautiful. 

I realized that no matter how you looked like, you can face such fear and humiliation if you are surrounded with people who care and love you. Loving and accepting oneself is one of the best way that you can move forward.

Thanks God that it was just a Telogen Effluvium. Thanks to my husband Ryan Pet and my family for the love and support.



This is me April 5, 2014



This is me as of 2020

Life live , eat well and be happy to get rid of stress. 

To God be all the Glory!!!



SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS -- Contact me here:


Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/RoseJaneArreza

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rosejanearreza/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/RoseJaneA/

Facebook Main: https://www.facebook.com/rosejane.arreza

Twitter: https://twitter.com/rosejanearreza

Blog :  http://thesafemode.blogspot.com/



Popular posts from this blog

Effects of Cigarettes

Do you know that cigarettes can harm to your body? Do you know that it will leads to death if you use it for a longer period of time? Do you know someone who  had vulnerable situation because of addiction of cigarette smoking? A  cigarette  is a cylindrical rolled paper containing dried and shredded tobacco leaves. Its main component is  nicotine , a stimulant that is highly addictive.  In addition, there are about 600 additional ingredients in a cigarette. It emits smoke that comprises 7,000 compounds in total, 69 of which are carcinogenic or cancer-causing substances.       Why people smoke? Peer pressure .   People who have friends who smoke may feel pressured into            doing the same to be accepted. Parental influence .  Those who have parents or guardian who smoke are more likely to start smoking. Advertising and media .   Advertisements of cigarettes portray smoking as exciting, glamorous. Stress relief .  Some people smoke to manage tension and relieve stress from family o

Harmful Effects of Alcohol

Do you indulge in alcoholic beverages during important events? Did you realize that drinking alcohol has harmful effects? Alcohol  - is an intoxicating substance produced by fermentation of grains and fruits. It is a depressant that slows down body functions such as movement, speech, reaction, time, and thinking ability.  When someone drinks alcohol, it enters the bloodstream. From there it travels to the brain, and because it's a depressant, it slows down the functions of your body. Ethyl alcohol  is the only kind of alcohol used in beverages. The type of alcoholic beverage depends on the type of fruit or grain used in fermentation and the amount of alcohol present.  The most common alcoholic beverages are  beer and wine. Why do people like to drink alcohol? Here are some of the reasons    for drinking alcohol: 1.  Peer Pressure.  People try alcohol when they are in social settings where everyone else is drinking.  2.  Stress-relief.   Alcohol provides the temporary illusion that

Dance and it's Classification

Dance  refers to creative movements or isolated movements. It is derived from man's activities either by mimicking or by creative choreography. This is usually set to a music and pattern of beats. Dance movements may tell story or interpret a song. These dances are called  Theatrical Dance . These are usually performed by dancers on a stage with spectators. On the other hand, there are dance movements that are intended for social interaction or exercise. These dances are called  participatory . Ballroom and folk dances are examples of participatory dance.    How important is dancing?   Some of you may not be fond of dancing or may be probably be shy to dance because you think you are not good in dancing. But you should know that dancing is not only for its aesthetic value or for entertainment. There are other benefits or importance of dancing. These includes the following;  1. Dancing is a form of exercise. 2. Dancing is a means of expressing oneself. 3. Dancing can be a form of me